Mental Health Crisis

Signs of Concern

Someone is...

  • Experiencing a depressed mood that impacts functioning
  • Having changes in sleeping or eating (significant increases or decreases)
  • Withdrawing from friends
  • Taking risks
  • Agitated/Irritable
  • Experiencing mood swings
  • Feeling overwhelming anxiety
  • Abusing substances (alcohol or other drugs)
  • Talking about death or dying
  • Acting strangely or oddly


Help Someone Else

If they mention suicide, do not leave them alone. Get them immediate help by calling Public Safety.  

Offer support and listen without judgment.

Encourage them to speak with someone at CPS. Offer to walk them over to CPS during business hours or to the UHS Infirmary after hours. 

You can also call CPS for a consultation about how to best help someone else. 

Try the 3Ds’ - Distract, Delegate, Direct

Create a distraction 

If someone is experiencing intense anxiety, it can be helpful to ground them.

Have them focus on:

  • 5 things they can see
  • 4 things they can hear
  • 3 things they can touch
  • 2 things they can smell, and
  • 1 thing they can taste. 

Delegate to get others involved 

Reach out to the person's RCA or their DSL to alert them of your concerns. 

Directly Intervene

Talk directly with the person you are concerned about.

  • Ask them how they are doing, and respond empathically.
  • Suggest referrals at the end of the conversation.


Help Myself

  • If you are thinking about hurting yourself, immediately call Public Safety
  • Avoid isolating yourself. Find a friend, or if no one is available, go to a public place with other people while you wait for assistance. 
  • Tell a friend, family member, RCA, PHA, DSL, or Dean.  
  • If you are in distress, call CPS at 609-258-3141 to speak to a counselor on call.
  • Go to the UHS Infirmary.